Thursday, March 1, 2012

Happy 1st Half Birthday LM

    Oh baby baby, where has time gone?! My little man is six months old! We thought about doing a family dinner aka little party but then I quickly realized LM would not be ready for solids and thus the idea of a cake wouldn't happen. The plan kinda frizzled out after that. We did mark his birthday with a brand new potty of his very own, and of course lots of pictures. We are also getting him two new toys- a Green Sprouts teether key ring and a Haba Sunni clutching toy but haven't gotten them ordered yet. They aren't so much about getting him "presents" as being good quality, "useful" toys that he will benefit from.

Which is how I want presents to be always. Not just for the sake of buying something, but good quality useful items that he will benefit from. And having fun and exploring is VERY useful for a baby or older child too. Toys, whether from a company or from normal household items, are the tools of children at their work of learning through play.




I'm really shocked how fast time goes with LM. That saying "the days are long but the years are short" is half-wrong, for us at least. Even the days are short, time is flying by. Six months ago, I finally saw his blue eyes for the first time. Today, they're still blue but the face around them has changed so much.

He was born weighing seven pounds and twelve ounces. He's twenty-one and a half pounds now, almost triple his birth weight. He's trying to sit up on his own, and can stay up for a minute or two without support if he's helped up. Then he loses interest and plops over. He sucks his thumb now, and sleeps in for a while after I've gotten out of bed in the morning. Chewing on his feet thrills him, though he really can only do without a diaper on. When it comes to his feet, absence only makes the heart grow fonder I suppose. He goes wild when taking a bath, so much so that my grandmother won't bath him anymore. Arms and legs failing everywhere, I don't think I've ever seen a baby who loves a bath more than him. It's not just bathtime either, he's becoming more physical about everything. Cuddling with him during the day is leaving me feeling mauled and beat up. Yesterday, he smacked me in the eye so hard it hurt for an hour and later left a bloody scratch under that same eye. If you see me wearing an eye patch, you'll know who's responsible. I def. remember this stage with my sister. It climaxed in the moment she run up to me for hugs (laying on the couch, corned) with a plastic toy farmhouse in her hand. My mouth bore the brute of that, with a swollen split lip but my chin was fairly bruised as well. Walking that off so she didn't realize HOW MUCH IT HURT wasn't the easiest thing ever.

Crawling is just barely beginning to interest him but he hasn't figured it out yet. With his distaste of being on his stomach still strong, I wonder if he'll be one of the few babies who just never crawls but instead waits until they can walk. He'll ride in the sling for up to an hour, a huge improvement for him considering it used to just be a five-minute thing.. Recently laying down to play is boring him more and more.  I spend more than a little time helping him sit up to play. He's only been in his stroller once or twice ever and didn't think it was that great either. I still ride in the backseat with him but he's gone for a few rides with just Hubs and been mostly content. If he's distracted because we're away from home, he'll go without naps or eating for several hours but at home during the day he still eats and sleeps quite a bit. Eating every two or threes hours, usually an hour nap after every meal though he has been skipping naps more lately.

Zantac is no longer part of his life, thanks to (I think) a combination of aging and his chiro Dr. Cathy. Sometimes we still have bad days with the reflex, but we had them on the zantac too. He almost never has gas anymore. I'm really beginning to think he has a sensitivity I haven't discovered yet. Gluten maybe? Tomatoes, beans and  DAIRY all bother him, though I can have small amounts of the beans and tomatoes and tiny amounts of the dairy without upsetting his stomach.

The EC is going pretty well considering we've JUST started getting into it. We're only averaging one solid catch a day, mostly missing all wet but have caught a few. I'm thinking it's time to roll up our living room rug for a while.  Those who do EC- how do you clean LO's potty? I've been using wet wipes but it seems wasteful. I use cloth wipes for LM at diaper changes.... *Update* someone in the comments on Crappy's Pictures' post about cloth diapers answered this for me! That nifty little diaper sprayer we've never used because his poop is watery-all-breastmilk-washer-safe and may never use since we're catching most poops? Yep, perfect potty sprayer apparently. Can't wait to get it hooked up and try!

We're going to be starting really working on the Baby Sign Language. I've been using it sporadically for a while for but know I want to get much more consistent with it. Right now, I'm just signing milk and potty. He keeps swatting my hand away and either laughing at me or very pointedly ignoring me....





   Basically, LM is growing and thriving, healthy and happy. And I am totally in awe of him for just being himself, and mine to watch over. Watching him grow is exciting to me in a way I couldn't ever explain but many moms understand anyway.



No comments:

Post a Comment